In a surprising turn of events, Microsoft is delaying its deployment of Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for Windows 8.1 users until next year. Microsoft had previously scheduled Windows 10 for mobile devices to roll out before the year ends but now that won’t be happening as the Redmond giant issued a statement today that Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10 by early 2016.
Microsoft however didn’t gave any details about the delay as the operating system is already expected in its OEM form. Users who wants to install Windows 10 mobile on their devices might want to enroll under the Windows Insider Program, where Windows 10 have already been seeded to Windows Insiders. If you are comfortable with constant updates, sending bug reports, getting your devices reset every now and then, and basically testing the operating system so the Windows team can issue fixes to any problems that Insiders find on every build then the Windows Insider Program is your only option at the moment but if it’s something to much for your daily driver then it would be better to wait for the official roll out.
Windows 10 have already been shipped to a number of new devices which includes the new Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL and the entry-level Lumia 550. So far, these are the only devices that directly runs Windows 10 out of the box but older devices are yet to be upgraded and will get the new experience next year.
When Windows 10 finally rolls out, keep note on the following devices that Microsoft is setting to release the first wave of upgrades: Lumia 930, Lumia 830, Lumia 735, Lumia 640 XL, Lumia 640, Lumia 540, Lumia 535, Lumia 532, Lumia 435, and Lumia 430.
- Windows 10 won’t come to old WinPhones until some time in early 2016(go.theregister.com)
- How to Find Your Product Key After Upgrading to Windows 10(groovypost.com)
- Microsoft to roll out Windows 10 Mobile to Windows Phone 8.1 users in early 2016(wmpoweruser.com)
- Windows 10 Mobile upgrade won’t hit older phones until 2016(arstechnica.com)
- Windows 10 update for Windows Phone 8 handsets delayed until 2016(phonearena.com)
- Microsoft Releases New Windows 10 Mobile Build, Promises Free Upgrades For 8.1 Users In 2016(techcrunch.com)