Most of us are expecting to see a general availability of the next generation Windows operating system from Microsoft. As one of those who have access, thus taking the risk to use an unsupported software (that is when you use software under beta testing which isn’t released officially in public), We’ve found too many things to get excited about as Microsoft has ironed out most of Windows 8 features that garnered much complaints from existing users.
In addition to that, Microsoft will also be adopting a unified naming convention for the company’s operating system to all platforms that includes the desktop, mobile and server platforms. No long ago, reports went online that Microsoft is also undergoing internal testing of Windows 10 for mobile devices. At it was confirmed earlier, Microsoft will be updating all existing and upcoming Lumia devices running Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices to Windows 10 for mobile when it will be readily available by next year. As for non-Lumia devices, given the compatibility of the handsets running the current Windows Phone OS, they are likely to be updated as well but it would be up to the device manufacturer if they are going to update their existing devices or not.
Just this week, Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner said that the plan is to release another developer preview by early summer next year and then by early fall 2015 Microsoft will launch Windows 10 to the public. Initial preview for the Windows 10 Mobile SKU is expected to be showcased by early 2015 which will work not only to Windows Phone devices but also to all ARM-based and Intel-based tablets.
- Microsoft may talk about Windows (Phone) 10 around 4th week of January. Dev preview far away.(nokiapoweruser.com)
- Windows 10 will be released by 2015 late summer or early fall, confirms Microsoft(ibtimes.co.uk)
- Microsoft: Windows Phone 8.1 Denim update to ‘roll out soon’(trustedreviews.com)
- Windows 10 Coming To All Lumia Windows Phone 8 Handsets(geeky-gadgets.com)
- Windows 10 Release Date, Technical Preview & Download: Threshold’s Cortana Preview Out; Full Launch in Fall 2015?(latinopost.com)
- Microsoft Executive Talks Windows 10 Pricing(spd.rss.ac)
- Windows 10 release expected in late summer or early fall 2015(djsmobiles.com)
- Microsoft delays Windows 10 launch to ‘late summer – early fall’ of 2015(kitguru.net)
- Windows 10 will see a consumer release by late summer or early fall 2015(windowscentral.com)