Leading mobile phone manufacturers has been battling for the slimmest if not bezel free devices that they could offer. Users have different opinions on a bezel free devices, while some manufacturers opt to include a significant thickness of bezel, others offer more thin bezels that’s starting to catch users attention. While companies such as LG now shipped their devices with thin bezels, Sharp on the other hand offers a virtually bezel free device with the new Sharp Aquos Crystal and Aquos Crystal X. Both devices features a nearly zero bezels with one is anticipated to reach the US shores while the larger flagship will remain exclusive to its home Japan.
The Aquos Crystal make look like a premium piece of hardware but underneath it’s rather a mid-range device as it features a 5-inch 720p display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 SoC running at 1.2 GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM. It comes with a modest 8 GB of built-in storage, Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) on a 2,040 mAh battery.
For connectivity, the Aquos Crystal comes with an array of connectivity options with the LTE capability to start with, it also supports Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth and NFC. For entertainment and especially music and voice clarity, the Aquos Crystal comes equipped with Harman Kardon sound effects engine with support for Clari-Fi, “LiveStage” Streaming and full compatibility with Harman KArdon ONYX portable bluetooth speaker.
Japanese Carrier and Sprint owner Softbank announces the new Sharp Aquos Crystal to be bound in the US with a release date on the 29th of August. According to Softbank’s press-release, they will start taking pre-orders starting tomorrow.
The Aquos Crystal X on the other hand is the Aquos Crystal’s bigger sibling and will be Sharp’s flagship handset exclusively for the Japanese market. It features a far more better 5.5-inch full-HD display, a more powerful Snapdragon 801 SoC at 2.3GHz, 2 GB RAM, and a beefier 32 GB of built-in storage. Not only that, the Aquos Crystal X comes with a larger battery unit at 2,460 mAh.
Sharp may not be that well-known in other parts of the world but they have been in the mobile business in Japan and have already existed in producing large feature phones and even before smartphones has been we known in other regions. Tomorrow’s Sprint announcement is greatly anticipated by many as this might be the first true bezel free smartphone device to exists in the market to date and one thing is for sure, the US will have one of the two devices that we’ve mentioned.
- Gorgeous, “frame-less” Sharp Aquos Crystal smartphone coming to Sprint tomorrow?(phonearena.com)
- The stunning Sharp Aquos Crystal is coming to Sprint tomorrow!(androidauthority.com)
- Look ma, no bezel! Sharp’s Sprint-bound Aquos Crystal gets featured in video ads(phonearena.com)
- The Aquos Crystal is the closest we can get to a bezel-less phone (for now)(androidauthority.com)
- Sharp AQUOS Xx 304SH with 5.2-Inch Full HD Display and Extra Thin Bezel Coming Soon to Japan(news.softpedia.com)
- Sharp’s Softbank-bound 5.2-inch Aquos Xx 304SH comes with a super compact metal frame, IP certification, and flagship specs(phonearena.com)