Infertility is beginning to worry the medical community as both environment and genetics are influencing one of the greatest problem in our reproductive community. Scientists are now having an intensive research to alleviate the problem and while some trials had failed, other are stepping in the right direction.
A team of scientists and researchers at the University of Cambridge just found what it need to counteract infertility in humans. The team was able to produce a primordial germ cells that would become a sperm and an egg which are the primary components in human reproduction using a human embryonic stem cells.
“Germ cells are ‘immortal’ in the sense that they provide an enduring link between all generations, carrying genetic information from one generation to the next,”
– Professor Asim Surani at Gurdon Institute
Scientists have already created primordial germ cells in the past with rodents as test subjects using its embryonic stem cells, the latest developments will further move into human testing. Professor Surani and his team have also demonstrated a procedure which produces a human primordial stem cells using an adult skin cells.
The latest breakthrough not only helped the field of human reproduction but also in the study of epigenetic inheritance – this refers to the effect of environmental factors against our own genes. The study will be able to find treatments for age-related diseases.
In an experimental procedure, Professor Surani’s team was able to eliminate specific genes which are affected by the environment, thus producing a renewed generation of offspring. The study will give us better understanding on age-related diseases and its suspected association with cumulative epigenetic mutations.
- Scientists one step closer to creating human egg, sperm : Study(canadajournal.net)
- Scientists Create First-of-its-Kind Artificial Human Eggs and Sperms(ibtimes.co.in)
- Precursors To Egg And Sperm Created From Human Stem Cells(designntrend.com)
- Scientists create artificial human sperm, eggs from stem cells(therebel.website)
- Scientists create artificial human sperm, eggs from stem cells(rt.com)
- Cell programming helps create precursors to human sperm and eggs in lab for first time(ibtimes.co.uk)