Earlier this week, Samsung issued a patch to its SW software updater for some of their Windows-based machines which intentionally disables Windows update in the process. This practice has prevented Windows to fetch and install new updates from the Windows update server which raised some concerns from users.
Our source reached Samsung for answers and here’s what the Korean tech company said in a statement:
Samsung has a commitment to security and we continue to value our partnership with Microsoft. We will be issuing a patch through the Samsung Software Update notification process to revert back to the recommended automatic Windows Update settings within a few days. Samsung remains committed to providing a trustworthy user experience and we encourage customers with product questions or concerns to contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG.
Samsung previously noted that Microsoft’s default drivers were causing problems on Samsung laptops, that’s why the company had to issue a patch to temporarily disable any automatic updates for Windows as it may affect its entire line-up of Windows-based PC’s and find solutions to the problem before moving on. Now that it seems the company has finally figured out the culprit of the problem and promised to issue a secondary patch to re-enable its Windows automatic updates.
- Samsung will soon let its laptops get patches via Windows Update once again(windowscentral.com)
- Samsung: “It is not true that we are blocking a Windows 8.1 operating system update on our computers”(microsoft-news.com)
- Samsung: “It is not true that we are blocking a Windows 8.1 operating system update on our computers”(wmpoweruser.com)
- Samsung PCs will unblock Windows Update ‘in a few days’(engadget.com)
- Updated: Samsung is patching its Windows Update blunder(community.spiceworks.com)
- Samsung will stop blocking Microsoft software updates ‘within a few days’(techworld.com.au)
- Samsung will stop blocking Microsoft software updates ‘within a few days’(computerworld.co.nz)
- Samsung: We’ll stop knackering Windows Update on your laptops(go.theregister.com)
- Samsung will stop blocking Microsoft software updates ‘within a few days’(pcworld.com)
- Samsung promises patch to re-enable Windows Update on its PCs(trustedreviews.com)