Google has already made Android 6.0 Marshmallow the mainstream version of the popular OS on its devices but some phone manufacturers are yet to adopt the operating system. One of which is Samsung and the Korean tech giant is still on its way on providing its own variant of the OS with TouchWiz UI on top.
With Samsung already testing the Marshmallow based OS internally, now they are turning to a limited number of real world users to beta test their software before they become available to the public. The beta program however will be limited to specific variants of the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge, Model SM-G920F and SM-G925F will be the test bed devices for the Marshmallow beta test program for Samsung. These devices were released in the UK and the software would only work on these devices and not on other variants of the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge devices.
Though the beta test program is open to all, Samsung will determine which registering participants will get into the program and there are prerequisites before users could start using Android 6.0 Marshmallow on their devices.
Our source SamMobile has already have the beta version of the software up for downloading and the following procedure below is intended for knowledgeable users who are familiar with beta software and firmware. You install the software at your own risk, either onetechavenue, SamMobile or Samsung does not take any responsibility to any damage/s that the software might cause on your device.
- Make sure that your phone is either and SM-G920F or SM-G925F of the Galaxy S6 or the Galaxy S6 edge, the F designation signifies that the unit that you have is the variant that is specific in the UK market. To check your device for the model number simply go to Settings > About Device.
- Check if its BTU, SamMobile has its Device info app on the Play Store to check if its BTU. Once downloaded, run the app, then go to the firmware tab, then check for the Product Code. The product Code should have your device model number with “BTU” towards the end.
- If your firmware is BTU, proceed to the next step by downloading the Galaxy Care app from the Samsung App store on your phone.
- Open the Galaxy Care app then agree legal terms on the welcome screen to go into the main screen.
- At the top of the App, swipe through the items until you reach “Participate Galaxy Beta Program”, then tap join.
- Press the Registration button at the bottom and agree to the license terms
- You are then given the option to download the beta Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM for your device.
- You will have to be patient as Samsung noted that the software could reach your device within 24 hours, so keep your device online all the time during the process.
- If you are outside of the UK or with a non-BTU product code but still want to try to software yourself, there’s a workaround to that as well, just make sure that your device is either SM-G920F/SM-G925F and it’s unlocked. You will also need to flash your devices with a BTU version of the UK firmware for the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge.
- To install the firmware to your phone, follow these instructions here to get started.
- After installing the UK firmware unto your device, head back to the procedure above but this time start at procedure number 3 then you should be good to go.